|Object Name||Report, Annual|
|Title||Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Annual Reports.|
|Collection||Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Records|
|Scope & Content||
This collection consists of the annual reports of the Jewish Welfare Federation/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit and United Jewish Charities/United Jewish Foundation.
The annual reports included are from 1950-present. However, there is a copy of the first annual report of the United Jewish Charities for 1899-1900.
In 1899, Rabbi Leo M. Franklin of Temple Beth El gathered representatives from the different associations and proposed a joint organization through which all the charitable educational work would be done. It was called the United Jewish Charities (UJC).
By 1923, it was becoming apparent that the United Jewish Charities was too limited for the growing needs of Detroit's Jewish population. A survey was conducted to weed out unnecessary services, merge overlapping ones, and point out new fields not yet explored. In 1926, the Jewish Welfare Federation (JWF) was formed to serve the Detroit Jewish community in three major areas: 1) central fund-raising for local, national and overseas agencies; 2) budgeting and allocations of funds raised; 3) coordinating and planning of functional programs of local social services. The UJC continued to exist as the property-holding corporation of the JWF.
In 1991, the JWF elected to change its name to the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit. One year later, in 1992, the UJC, its ownership, management and investment arm, became the United Jewish Foundation of Metropolitan Detroit.
|Extent of Description||
2.5 Linear Feet
2 Paige Boxes
|Credit line||Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives|
United Jewish Charities
Jewish Welfare Federation
Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
United Jewish Foundation