Museum logo
Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Accession number 2005.01
Object Name Manuscript
Title Saturday Luncheon Club Records
Collection Saturday Luncheon Club Records
Date 1948-2017
Scope & Content Series 1 (Boxes 1 - 3) consist of administrative records of the Saturday Luncheon Club including miscellaneous correspondence from 1977 - 2004, miscellaneous agendas and
Minutes from 1948 - 2012, membership bio information and directory, and yearly anniversary events, including pictures, from 1961 - 2015.

Series II (Boxes 4 - 7) consist of the many of the written papers from 1942 - 2016 that were given at the Saturday Luncheon Club.
Series III (Photograph Album) depicts events and members of the Saturday Luncheon Club.
Admin/Biographical History In 1922, The Saturday Luncheon Club was formed by seven women who had recently graduated from college. There are several stories regarding the club's formation, but it is believed that Dr. Leo M. Franklin, Rabbi of Temple Beth El, shared this idea with his daughter, Ruth Einstein, and several other women. It was Rabbi Franklin's hope that the women who joined this club would present papers on subjects of interest, enabling women to build friendships and continue a self-directed adult education. Today, 2017, the Saturday Luncheon Club is still a viable club where women meet one Saturday a month to enjoy friendship, food and interesting topics.
Extent of Description 3 Linear Feet (7 MB, 1 Photograph Album)
Credit line Saturday Luncheon Club Records, Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives
Search Terms Saturday Luncheon Club