|Title||Detroit Jewish Newspaper Collection (microfilm)|
|Collection||Detroit Jewish Newspaper Collection|
|Scope & Content||
*This collection is housed at the Walter P. Reuther Library of Labor and Urban Affairs.
The collection is comprised of The Jewish American (1901-1911), official organ of Congregation Temple Beth El, and The Jewish Chronicle (1916), forerunner of The Detroit Jewish News.
Detroit's first English-language Jewish newspaper began with the October 5,
1900 issue of The Jewish American, which was published once a week. Emanuel T.Berger was the editor and it was published by The Jewish Review and Observer of Cleveland, OH. On October 18, 1901, after being purchased by Soloman Goldsmith, The Jewish American became the official organ of Congregation Temple Beth El in Detroit. Beth El's rabbi, Leo M. Franklin, served as editor, and Goldsmith was publisher.
As of 1904, Franklin relinquished the role of editor, but the paper continued
as the voice of the Temple. Goldsmith died in 1908 and in 1910 the paper was no longer the official voice of Temple Beth El. The last issue of the paper appeared on May 12, 1911.
There were several short-lived attempts at other Detroit Jewish papers, but the most successful did not begin until March 16, 1916 with the publication of The Jewish Chronicle. The paper's first editor was Samuel J. Rhodes, but its best known was Philip Slomovitz. The Chronicle was published until July 20,1951 when it was incorporated with The Detroit Jewish News, which is still published each week.
|Extent of Description||23 Reels|
|Credit line||Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives|
The Jewish American
The Jewish Chronicle
Temple Beth El
Berger, Emanuel T.
Franklin, Rabbi Leo M.
|Finding Aid||Click here to view Finding Aid.|