|Title||The Jewish Home for the Aged Records|
|Collection||Jewish Home for the Aged Records|
|Date||1930-1990 (bulk 1970-1990)|
|Scope & Content||
*This collection is housed at the Reuther Library of Labor and Urban Affairs
The majority of papers in this collection were amassed by Jack Schon during his tenure as a board member and president of the Home. This collection includes correspondence, minutes,
reports, agendas, manuals, and scrapbooks covering the creation and operation of the Jewish Home for the Aged facilities, with an emphasis on events that occurred in the 1980s.
Additional material about the Home may be found in the Jewish Federation Collection.
Minute books and an extensive set of photographs from the Home are housed at the Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives at the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit in
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
On June 10, 1907 members of the Anshe Chesed Shel Emeth, a Jewish burial society, incorporated the Jewish Old Folks Home to provide housing for the homeless and those who could no longer maintain their own homes and wished to live in a facility that observed kashrut, the Jewish dietary laws. A house was purchased at Brush and Winder as the facility, and in 1915 the organization moved to larger quarters at Brush and Edmund, in the heart of the Jewish community.
In 1931 the Jewish Old Folks Home affiliated with the Jewish Welfare Federation and in 1933 the group changed its name to the Jewish Home for the Aged. In 1937 a state-of-the-art facility was built on Petoskey in Detroit with Ira Sonneblick, a nationally known gerontologist, as director. Services expanded to include sophisticated physical and occupational therapy and
recreational opportunities. When medical needs increased, the Home developed an infirmary and ambulatory services.
As Detroit’s Jewish population moved northwest, Borman Hall, a modern facility that included married housing, opened in 1968 on Seven Mile Road and Sutherland. In 1971 Prentis Manor, an existing nursing home in Southfield, was acquired. These facilities became full scale nursing
homes. Facilities for the well elderly were also needed. The Fleischman Residence, on the grounds of the Jewish Community Center in West Bloomfield, accommodated this group of people.
Beginning in the mid 1980s, financial and management difficulties plagued the Home. The cost of running a full service nursing facility escalated and problems arose with nursing care. In 1995 the Jewish Home from the Aged relinquished its ability to provide skilled nursing care and sold
Borman Hall and Prentis Manor.
|Extent of Description||18 linear feet (22 MB, 5 OS)|
|Credit line||Jewish Home for the Aged Records, Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives|
Jewish Home for the Aged
Jewish Old Folks Home
|Finding Aid||Click here to view Finding Aid.|