|Title||Congregation Beit Kodesh Records|
|Collection||Congregation Beit Kodesh Records|
|Scope & Content||
*This collection is housed at the Walter P. Reuther Library of Labor and Urban Affairs.
The Congregation Beit Kodesh Records include administrative records, bar and bat mitzvah records, Chai dinner booklets, legal documents, minutes and records of sisterhood activities.
They reflect the activities of a small but dedicated group of volunteers that labored to maintain Jewish presence and practice in Western Wayne County for more than 50 years.
In 1958, Livonia was a growing community that attracted Jewish families. A group of Jewish visionaries began holding Shabbat services at Clarenceville Central Elementary School. Services were also held in individual homes. In 1958, High Holiday services were held at the Botsford Inn. By 1959, a nucleus of membership had formed and the Livonia Jewish Congregation was officially organized.
Over the years, Shabbat services were held in rented locations as Clarenceville Junior High and the Pierson Elementary School. In 1963, property was purchased on Seven Mile Road and the existing farmhouse was renovated for use. In 1965, a church on Six Mile Road was purchased
and renovated. This facility included a sanctuary, meeting rooms and kitchen.
Membership grew and, in early 1970s, the congregation negotiated with the Jewish Federation to use the former Maly and Samuel Cohn United Hebrew School Building. The congregation maintained a religious school and was an important presence within the Livonia community, participating in numerous community and social service projects. In 1990, the Livonia Jewish Congregation changed its name to the Congregation Beit. Its former name was restrictive in membership appeal as members came from throughout Western Wayne County and Oakland Counties.
Over the years, they have had three rabbis and a dedicated membership that undertook much of the responsibility for the synagogues’ daily functioning. There was great involvement on the part of lay leadership that often conducted religious services. The synagogue operated on a volunteer
basis with a limited budget.
The congregation referred to themselves as the “House of Miracles” as they were small in numbers and overcame many financial obstacles. They were a close-knit synagogue that operated like a family. The building on West 7 Mile Road was their congregational home for more than 40 years and
was occupied until November 1, 2011 when the congregation disbanded.
|Extent of Description||3.5 Linear Feet|
Congregation Beth Kodesh
Livonia Jewish Congregation
|Finding Aid||Click here to view Finding Aid.|