|Title||Sinai Hospital of Detroit Records|
|Collection||Sinai Hospital of Detroit Records|
|Date||1900-1999 (bulk 1950-1999)|
|Scope & Content||
*This collection is housed at the Walter P. Reuther Library of Labor and Urban Affairs.
This collection has been arranged by broad subject area and then alphabetically within each subject area and chronologically within each segment. Files have been arranged in ascending order.
The entire collection with the exception of photographs, has been transferred to the Reuther Library and will remain as part of the Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives. The photographic collection is located the Archives office at the Max M. Fisher Jewish Federation Building in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
Two additional collections relating to Sinai Hospital are included within the LNS Jewish Community Archives: the Sinai Hospital Guild collection of 35 linear feet and the Sinai Hospital Administration collection of 14 boxes. Also related to Sinai Hospital is a three-box collection,Women of Maimonides Medical
Society, found within the small collections guide ( Accession #1812 — boxes 54-56 ).
Sinai Hospital was acquired by the Detroit Medical Center, DMC, in 1997. The Sinai papers were donated to the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit when the facility closed in 1999.
The papers within this collection document the Detroit Jewish community's history of commitment to medical care and the eventual development of a hospital. Medical services for Detroit's Jewish population began in 1900 when free clinical care was provided under the auspices of the Ladies Society for the Care of Widows and Orphans. Later, services to indigent people and new immigrants were dispensed at a clinic in the Hannah Schloss Building, a settlement house. On March 12, 1912, Orthodox Jews of Detroit marched down Hasting Street with signs proclaiming "Buy a Brick to Save the Sick." The rally ended with a meeting at which the
Jewish Hospital Association was organized. Discrimination at existing hospitals was evident, a Jewish hospital was deemed essential to provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors. In addition, a facility providing kosher food was desired.
There was considerable resistance by some members of the community. In the meantime, the North End Clinic was developed at the Leopold Wineman Memorial Building It provided free medical care of high quality for those unable to pay for private care. The clinic also afforded young physicians the opportunity to acquire clinical experience. In intervening years of the
Great Depression and World War II, demand for a hospital continued.
In 1937, through the efforts of local Jewish physicians and the Jewish Hospital Association, the Mt. Sinai Hospital Association was organized. The Jewish Welfare Federation, the umbrella body of the organized Jewish community, also pledged its cooperation and sponsored a needs assessment.
Fund raising began in 1944; by 1945, $2,300,000 was raised. Ground was broken on January 14, 1951. The hospital opened in 1953 with 238 beds It included akosher kitchen, the only one of its kind in all of Michigan.
Through the years, Sinai underwent tremendous growth and development. The first bed expansion in 1960 brought the total to 351 beds. The following year, 36 psychiatry beds were provided. At the time of its closing in 1999, there were 603 licensed beds. The 1953 budget of $2 million had grown to $253 million.
Development of a medical campus included many significant buildings and programs: Shiftman Clinic, Shapero School of Practical Nursing, Slatkin Residence, Samuel Frank Medical Library, Hamburger-Jospey Research Building, Srere Radiation Therapy Building and Zivian Center. In later years, the Sinai Health Care System developed satellite outpatient facilities throughout the community.
Sinai became an important research facility. Its program of medical research brought many innovations to the region: the first in the world to develop and implant a partial mechanical heart, the first in the region to use techniques such as balloon angioplasty, office hysteroscopy, biopsy and laser surgery and catheter atherectomy.
In the 1990s, the hospital underwent restructing and made efforts to respond to the changing times. However, in 1997, the difficult decision was made to sell the hospital to the Detroit Medical Center. In 1999, Sinai services were moved to the nearby Grace Hospital, renamed Sinai-Grace. The name was also maintained at DMC/ Huron Valley Sinai Hospital in Commerce Township.
The legacy of Sinai Hospital also lives on through the creation of the Jewish Fund, established in 1997 with the proceeds ($ 63 million) from the sale of the hospital The Jewish Fund was intended as a resource not only for vulnerable Jews but also for the health needs across the broader community.
|Extent of Description||23.5 Linear Feet|
|Credit line||Sinai Hospital of Detroit Records, Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives|
North End Clinic
|Finding Aid||Click here to view Finding Aid.|